Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week of April 25

      Well after this week, I am pretty sure that I have solidified my ability to be the most Patient person ever haha Oh Africa. Paul went every single day this week to the license office from when it opened until when it closed and everyday it was the same story, "Please wait, we'll be with you" and everyday, Paul would come home empty handed. He amazes me though with his perseverance and patience haha which are traits you HAVE to possess if living in this country. He said they are waiting for a bribe to speed things along, as they do with everything else because everything in the government is So corrupt.
     We have been trying all week to sale the taxi and are realizing that we are Never going to get back even close to the money that we have spent on it. Most people are offering 1600 or at most 1800. We bought it for 2700 and have put in atleast another 1500. However, the longer we keep it, the more that we spend and we are both ready to be free of it. Paul's eldest brother has been very generous to offer us his Honda (he recently got a new car) and is giving us a really good deal on it and it's Very reliable unlike our disaster of a taxi. So, once we rid ourselves of the wretched taxi, we will be able to purchase the honda and Never look back on all the money that has gone down the drain. Lesson Definitely learned.
    In Ghana and all over Africa, there is JuJu which is a black magic.  It is done various ways, whether it is mami water sent from a sea dweller, using voodoo dolls, or having an owl sent to cry your death. When someone is envious of you, they will seek out a witch or wizard to harm you. If you are able to realize what is happening in time, you can seek out a fetish priest who will then find a way to counteract the Juju. I don't totally understand it and am skeptic but I saw it being done for the first time this week. In  the post office square there was drumming and dancing when we drove by one night so we went to see and apparently a tribe's brother had been killed and so they were performing a ritual to scare away any bad juju that would be sent to harm their deceased friend. There were guys dancing around with machetes and cutting themselves all over their bodies, however because the protection of the juju they were casting, there was no blood. There was another guy warding off any juju trying to interfere by circling the group and continuously dipping a broom in a calabash and spreading water around. It got pretty crazy with a lot of smoke, screaming, drumming and dancing and it is just one of those things that reminds me that I really am living in Africa.
     Other than that, we had a great trip on Monday to the Wli Waterfalls, there were TONS of people and cultural dancing as well, and it was a lot of fun. All Paul's family but his youngest sister have gone back to Accra after the holiday so the house is quiet again. Yesterday at church instead of the normal meetings, they showed a session and a half of General Conference. Paul and I were so happy that we were able to hear from our leaders and the message that resonated with us was one of Charity, Family and continuing on with faith. It was exactly what we needed to hear and the spirit was wonderfully there. Paul's friend Matthew also came along with us and I hope he enjoyed it as well. Also, rainy season has officially begun and everyday we have a massive downpour and despite the fact that I get a little scared of how strong it storms, it's so nice to have the rain cool things down a bit. T.I.A.

2 comments:

  1. Annie for cute sister! You are freaking amazing, that's all I can say. I considered you to be a very patient person before you left, so I can't imagine the type of patience you've had to develop!
    It must be frustrating that Paul cannot get his license, I can't believe how corrupt the African government is. It's also hard to be losing money on the taxi, but it sounds like it's just not worth fixing up. Jace and I have had to put a TON of money into his car and almost feel like giving it up too, I know how you feel! When you talk about Juju and that dancing in the street, it reminds me of watching your wedding video-so interesing!
    I'm so glad you got to go some waterfalls and I bet the scenery there is just gorgeous! So with the rainy season, is it super humid too? I love ya and miss ya to death!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks So much Nen! Haha you are Way too nice, patience is definitely a skill worth having! It is So frustrating that Paul can't get his license honestly. And yes, I Truly appreciate America and all the freedoms and liberties we have living there. And ya, I have actually thought about Jace's car too, it is So frustrating! But yes, it is Super humid here and super hot but it's So green now it's breathtaking! I miss you So much big sister! I love you!

    ReplyDelete