Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week of September 5

       This week I had a lot of fun at the orphanage. I have been scared to bring my laptop there but I should have known better than to worry because the kids are Always so respectful and careful of things. We took funny pictures with the effects on my computer and the kids were laughing So hard. We watched the Mask of Zorro and about 30 of them were all huddled around my stacked up on chairs and benches trying to see. We played Steal the Flag, which I taught them last year but hadn't played it yet this year and it was So much fun. To get the babies to stop crying too, we had races and Prosper was the all time champ after Luke fell on his face about every 5 steps. And of course, we have been playing a Lot of card games.
        I was really proud of Hohoe's electricity for about a month because they hadn't turned off the power, now however it is "Light off" everyday. They are like fixing something in town with street lights or something and seriously at least 5 times a day the power will go off, come on for about 20 minutes (if we are lucky) and then go back off again. And this heat with no fan can be killer, I take cold showers though in the middle of the day which does help to cool me off. And to add to the luxury of it all, the cockroaches are in full attack lately and are EVERYWHERE. Finally, even Paul had had enough and went to work spraying them all with insecticide. He seriously probably got rid of about 200 and they are still somehow everywhere. It will be really nice once the "family" house that Paul's dad is building is finished, we went and saw it yesterday and the piping is in which is definitely progress.
        Anyway, Paul took me to dinner on Friday night which was Really nice, especially because he took me to a place where I could get pizza. It definitely wasn't the same haha but was close enough and I enjoyed it :) Paul wouldn't even try it though. I think he wants to eat as Much Ghanaian food as possible while he can. We heard back from our friend in the government as well this week. The embassy here informed her that our petition was under review (which is a good sign) and that before the 60 days is up, which is October 8, we would be informed of a decision.
       Paul's dad came this weekend bearing gifts as always and gave me a whole fridge full of fruits, including watermelon :) Which of all fruits, reminds me the most of home. He also sent a package for me during the week with various things including chocolate bars and obviously there was nothing to do but put the chocolate to use so yesterday, while Paul and his friends watched the Arsenal v. Swamsea match, Confi and I made Oatmeal Chocolate Chip bars which was wonderful. And Really, despite the obvious contrasts from what I am used to... Ghana is my home now :)
      

No comments:

Post a Comment