Monday, September 19, 2011

Week Of September 12


This week we got possibly the biggest news so far… The I-130 petition was approved from the USCIS office in the Accra Embassy which means that we only have one step left to go before the visa is issued. It is Such a miracle because we weren’t even supposed to hear anything back until October 8. It has now been sent on to the consular section within the embassy and they are the ones that issue the visa so it’s really just left with them. I emailed them to find out what we need to do next but still haven’t heard back yet but hopefully when I do we will get more of a time table on how much longer it is going to be, and what we need to do in the mean time. So exciting  though!!

Other than that, I slept at the orphanage Friday night, which I haven’t done since last year and it was so great. We watched movies, had bible study (which Mama Eugenia led with all the kids and it was really great), played cards and then the next day we played kick the can, told stories, went to the river, and I watched the cards played football. At one point in the day too I was exhausted from lack of sleep (we stayed up late talking and then the bugs attacked all through the night) so I laid down and like five of the kids fanned me which was great. Mama Eugenia too earlier in the week sat me down and told me how they really regard me as part of the family and I really do feel it when I go there, I love all of them so much.

To add to the list of interesting things that I hear here… and I don’t know either if this has been heard in the US but in Ghana there is this HUGE thing going around about Michael Jackson. The story goes that a woman here died, and was taken to heaven first but then requested to see who was in hell or something like that so she was taken down and saw Michael Jackson and Pope John Paul being tortured in a hole in hell. Michael Jackson then told her that his music he created was a sin and that every time that someone on earth plays it, they torture him more. Anyways, one of Paul’s mom’s pastors came by this last week and I guess preached to the family (I wasn’t home) about the importance of not listening to Michael Jackson or dancing like him. I was whistling his song, “I will be there” and got some dirty looks from my nephew haha.

Anyways, my friend Abby (who I met while volunteering with CCS) and who came back last year when I was in Ghana as well, gets in today and I am so excited. She will be here with one of her friends for a month so it should be a lot of fun. We also found out too that the reason they are doing “light off” so much is because they are installing prepaid electricity in every building. Apparently, it has been in place for 2 years but is only now reaching Hohoe so once it is installed to get electricity we will have to go to the office and buy a card for however much electricity we’ll need and then once it’s out of money, we will have to go back again and buy it. Supposedly it is just a way for the electricity company to make more money because they “credit” that you buy runs out really quickly so Paul’s mom is worried. And last but certainly not least, 2 years ago tomorrow I met Paul at Kokrobite. I can’t believe how my life has changed since then and how Heavenly Father truly does have a plan for us. I am so grateful for my husband, he is my best friend, my teacher and the love of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment