Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week of May 30

Well, can't say that this week has been my easiest week in Ghana....This week was the week that we thought we were going to get our visa and get to the states and really start our lives haha and I should have known that it sounded way too good to be true. Paul's dad had a man in Accra (the main city) supposedly working tirelessly on it for the past 4 months. Paul and I went to Accra on Wednesday to meet this man at the embassy for what we thought was our interview for our visa then to be handed to us. Long story short, this man was a complete fraud and had been taking Paul's dad's money and lying to us this whole time. So basically, we have spent 4 months patiently waiting for NOTHING. The shock of it all was quite overwhelming but atleast now we know and can do something about it and after two days of driving around Accra, meeting with the US embassy, calling USCIS, going to banks, going to the immigration office, meeting with Paul's dad, having all 4 of Paul's brother's sitting down with us to make a game plan, emailing my extremely helpful U.S. contact who is in the government, doing massive research on the internet and also getting help/counsel from my sweet dad.... We have now made a plan of what we can do to really get this process started. First step is getting my resident permit which must be done through Ghanaian immigration services (which we pray won't be like everything else in Ghana and just not work) but we are going back to Accra on Tuesday to pay the Outrageous fee and hopefully have it processed within a week. Once we obtain the resident permit, we then will be able to begin the process of filing for the actual visa. It's going to be a long road, but atleast now we're heading somewhere. And as Paul sweetly reminded me amidst my ocean of tears after finding out, "As long as we're together, that's all that matters." I know that God will provide for us and that obviously we are meant to be in Ghana for a while longer...

1 comment:

  1. Annie! You are so amazing. I know you are strong enough to make it through all of this and it'll will only make your arrival here that much more wonderful! I love you and I will pray for you and Paul this week fervently for everything to work out! Love you cousin!

    ReplyDelete