Thursday, April 7, 2011

Up to the Week of April 4

      Well I am updating not on a Sunday and 2 and a half weeks late because we didn’t have the internet (This is Africa) but it’s back and running J I have too much to write about but will do my best to hit the high points and not go on forever!
     Teaching at Suzzy Mother Care definitely keeps me busy but it gives me a sense of accomplishment when even one of my children show signs of learning. We have been having final exams this week to test on what the kids have been learning which is shapes, colors, ABC’s and numbers. Most did pretty well but there are about 3 kids in my class who flunked every test and no matter how hard I try, they don’t learn like AT ALL but I won’t give up. They are absolutely out of Control though most of the time (ages 4-8) and so the headmaster will come in every like 15 minutes with his cane to threaten them, “I will Beat you.” The lady that owns it, Suzzy, is super nice though and everyday has water delivered to me in my classroom and twice a weeks she sends me home with fruit. Also, Abby Chester, my friend who I met while volunteering my first time here, donated a ton of storybooks which have been Very helpful and the kids love being read to because it opens them up to a world of things they have never/will never see. Teaching in Ghana, although Totally different from teaching in the U.S., is getting me really excited for when I can get my degree and begin my career as an actual teacher one day!
     This last week I was really sick with a fever and a constant “runny stomach” as they call it here. There has been recent cases of cholera here and people have died so Paul got way worried and alerted his mother, Mary who then went to work on healing me (she’s a nurse) and made me take about 10 different pills. She called different pastors too and had them pray for my evil diarrhea to be gone too. She brought me in like full on meals every couple hours and would stay to make sure I ate. (Side Note: In Ghana, to be fat is desired because it means you have food to eat so Mary is doing her best to “plump” me up so that people don’t think I’m suffering for food in her house. However, because I’m me and am terrified of getting fat, I’m fighting it every way I can.) Anyways, then Paul’s dad came home for the weekend and stocked me up on a variety of food to show his concern for my health. They are so great and after all their efforts, I have been healed J
     As for the wretched car, because of the mechanic overheating the engine, the gasket broke along with 2 other things that I don’t know the name of in the engine so we had to pay to get that fixed. Plus, in Ghana they require a fire extinguisher nailed in the car by the windshield, well because of the intense heat here, ours exploded, sprayed stuff all over the car and smashed up the windshield which showered glass in the car. Paul used his “Ghanaian creativity” and bought stickers for the windshield which hold the glass together haha so we are just going to leave it like that for now. However as of this week, it is finally functioning to the point of driving and Paul has been driving it during the day while I’m at school and then when I’m done, we drive until dinner which means we are finally making money at last!
     Other then that.... After endless amounts of visits to the police station, we are still without possession of my bike. But Paul’s neighbors have bikes and we have been borrowing them to enjoy night bike rides, which has been really great. My running shoes were stolen as they were left outside to dry after being clean which has been a big bummer but tomorrow is market day and we are going to try to get another pair. I love the kids though at Paul’s house and we have fun playing in the rain, playing Go Fish, watching them climb the Mango trees and bring in bags of mango, and lately they have really been teaching me Ewe which is a continuing process. I have finally convinced Paul that cartoons/Disney movies aren’t just for little kids and we have been enjoying watching them.
I love my life and although, sometimes living in a different country is a challenge, I have Paul and the gospel and am on a great journey through life J

2 comments:

  1. Annie,

    I know that I do not know you, but I want you to know that this post was exactly what I needed to hear and see today. I spent four months in Ghana last year and also worked at Suzie Mother Care. I met Paul and became good friends with him and the other amazing people in that community. I have been planning ever since I came home to return for a three week visit this summer, but my sister was diagnosed with cancer this week, so I will not be able to make my journey. I am mourning the loss of this dream of coming back to Ghana, but my sister is my #1 priority right now, so I wont make it to Ghana this summer.

    Reading your post made me feel more at peace because I know that those kids have you as their teacher...someone who is doing everything in their power to provide a quality education. It also makes me wonder if you have any of the students that I had while I was there. If you do, I would love to know so that I could keep in touch with them. Also, I would love your or the schools address so that I can send some things your way. I am a special education teacher in Ohio, and I would be happy to share any resources that I can with you.

    I am devestated that I will not be able to see my sweet children this summer. I feel so lucky to have you and this blog to follow and keep me in the loop. I would love to keep in touch with you and help out in any way that I can.

    My personal email is mfarris29@gmail.com. Please tell Paul, Alfa, and everyone else that Maureen says hi. For now, I will just live vicariously through you. Please don't hesitate to ask for whatever it is that you need.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie my love! Holy cow girl, I cannot BELIEVE what you guys have gone through. You amaze me. I am so excited that you are going to go into teaching- you are so good at this and I know you'd love it! The "runny stomach" paragragh was hilarious! You and diarrhea, dang, I wish it would get better! Sounds like it has...? Paul's mom must have magical powers to cure your stomach haha. I'm so glad to hear that you guys are finally making money with you taxi and get to spend some time together, that's so great.
    I can't believe someone seriously stole your shoes! Who does that? Can you buy new ones over there? Well sis, I love you so much and miss ya to death. I really hope to see you two this year! Things are pretty much the same with Jace and I (he is busy with school and work and me with work). He is going to run a relay with his friends in Moab that should be fun in May... he is an AMAZING runner!

    Anyway, Sis, I love ya sooooo much! You're in my prayers everyday. Love, Jenna

    ReplyDelete