Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week Of February 21

All I can say is.. Never a boring week in Ghana. The majority of this week was again spent at the shop everyday for the car, there is just problem after problem and once something is fixed, something else breaks down. As Paul and I were driving back from a mechanic shop, (which when I say shop I just mean a dirt covered plot of land with a bunch of broken down cars) our car ran out of petrol (their form of gas) and as our luck would have it we were at the station where there is So much traffic. Paul had a couple boys help him push it back to the filling station (gas station) and as they were pushing him, he ran into a pole right by the gas pump. I had been waiting under the shade and walked up to see him with a nervous grin on his face as he explained what had happened. The car had a big dent on the back side and red paint was smeared on it. So we took it Back to the same mechanic shop we had just left and waited while a mechanic jumped in the back of the car, (literally) stripped the car's lining and hammered a stick from the inside out to push out the dent haha I was laughing so hard, and when Paul asked why, I just said "Ghanaians are quite creative." And then I went on to explain to him that in America, they have a machine that suctions to the car and pops out the dent. Anyways, after the man was done hammering out the dent, he had created all these bumps on the outside of the car so then he took a hammer to the outside to "smooth it out," Which then ruined all the paint on that side so we ended up driving it to another mechanic shop where they sprayed the car to look new, then as we were backing out of that shop, Paul accidentally hit a truck which scraped up the paint on the front side on the car haha (no joke) but we decided we are just going to put a sticker over that particular part of the car. We now have a For Sale sign on the car and have had quite a few offers so we will hopefully had it sold by the end of this next week.
Also, a big joy of Ghana is the bugs, they are EVERYWHERE, and as much as I try, I'm still not used to it. Thursday morning as we were preparing our morning Milo (which is like ovaltine), we got out the sugar and Paul opened the box. Huge aunts, like 10x bigger than we see in the states swarmed out of the box. Paul threw the box, and tried to catch all of the ants as they scampered about, but I was SO grossed out and am will forever be nervous to open up a box of sugar haha.
Other news, Paul and I bought a table, and some baskets to organize our room. I've gotten back to exercising which feels so great, Paul doesn't love cardio but one day he borrowed a neighbors bike and rode alongside me as I jogged haha which made quite a scene around Hohoe as you can imagine. The jeweler that made my ring, has taken it back to adjust one of the holders for the diamonds on it which is quite a bummer because I miss my beautiful ring. However, a positive to that is that he took Paul and I over to his house (it was really sad he had no furniture, cement floors, and no electricity) but his wife had just had a beautiful little girl and she let me hold her for a while, I almost took her home with us. Paul's been driving the taxi at night time (passengers have to pay double price) and I just sit in shotgun and collect the money, it's actually been pretty fun. I met with Happy Kids Orphanage on Friday and will start teaching tomorrow, I'm nervous to start all over at a new orphanage but hopefully this will turn out to be a really positive experience :) Well that is a basic run down of my week. Life is what we make it, and I'm definitely having the time of my life and feel so blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Annie! Wow, I'm so glad you updated your blog, I love to hear what is going on in your life! What a nightmare with your car, wow! I hope you guys are able to sell it. Also the bugs-gross, I don't know how you handle it, I would be going crazy! I'm so glad you are able to exercise again, I know it makes a huge difference. I'm excited to hear about the new Happy Kids Orphanage, you are amazing. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Thanks Cort, you are So cute!
    ~Jenna thanks so much, I wish we could talk so I could hear more of what is going on in your life! And ya, exercising really makes a huge difference but I will never even get close to you Ms. hardcore exerciser haha! I love you so much too!

    ReplyDelete