Monday, March 14, 2011

Week of March 7

This week was another Wonderful week in Ghana and I am learning more about myself than ever before! While Paul is dealing with car problems (daily occurance) or going to try and get the bike (still has not been released from the police station) I am at home either learning the Ghanaian ways from his sweet mother, playing with the sweet kids that live with their family, getting good exercise time in, having time to sit and study the scriptures, and really am just focusing on bettering myself as much as possible (which is an endless process). It is so different than the US where you can just go out and apply for a job, go to school or even walk around town without having people yell at you to either come to them or go back to your country but we are making the most of it and although it is not as I expected it to be, I am adjusting and am truly enjoying my life as it comes everyday. Plus, when Paul gets home from working to get stuff done in town and I see him it's like my heart leaps for joy and my other half is back. We have so much fun just being together and are really coming to a new understanding of each other's needs.
 Paul too is teaching me an Ewe word a day (the tribal language that is spoken in the area) and I'm not going to lie, I'm practically fluent :) He also everyday has been showing me different areas in Hohoe that I never knew even existed, and the town is bigger than I would have thought. Today too, he surprised me with a trip to the Talking River which is absolutely beautiful and so peaceful and we had a great time just talking and relaxing.
This week too, Hohoe held like a sports competition for all the high schools where they played football, volleyball and ran track. Paul and I went and watched but there was a Huge rainstorm so we had to run for cover. The rainy season has started and when it rains it Pours here in Ghana, which is great because it is So So hot and the water tap gets turned off less, however now there are more bugs than ever and the power goes off atleast twice a day.
Confidence (the sweet girl from the village who lives with Paul's family) and I waged a MASSIVE war this week against the beetles that are taking over the fridge in the room (I'm determined that they live inside the lining of the fridge) and although the beetles put up a good fight, after a lot of soap, and copious amounts of bug spray, we conquered the little devils! They have since been trying to make a comeback but their reign is ended :)
Other than that, we got rid of our second taxi driver. He was just dishonest and would always make up stories as to why he didn't bring home the money he was supposed to, some days wouldn't even bring the car home at night, would give out the car to his friends to drive or would park the car during the day instead of doing his job so Paul said enough is enough. This coming week he is going to work on getting a driver's license so that he can drive during the day (at night they don't check licenses but it's really dangerous) because we have realized it just isn't practical to give our car out to anyone to drive with them being so irresponsible and untrustworthy.
Well that's my week and basically, I just love my husband So much! Although I definitely miss family, friends, home and American life; I am with my partner, comforter, best friend, greatest teacher, laughing buddy and love of my life so how could I not be blissfully happy?

5 comments:

  1. Wow Annie, I don't know how you do it, you are amazing. I could not do half the things you are doing over there! Waging a war with beetles? YUCK! No, but I am SOOOO proud of you and so happy that you are so happy. I can tell that you are just totally in love with your husband, which is the most important thing. You have such a great attitude about life and I really look up to you that way. I love your updates, keep 'em coming! Love you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie I think your crazy! It takes a special person to be doing what your doing. I'm so sorry I haven't emailed you this week I'Ve been so busy! I love you though and keep up the positive attitude. If it were me, I'd start swimming home by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna! You are too cute and you are Amazing! I was actually just going off to mom about how much I look up to you and how you are inspiring us all to be successful! I am totally in love with my husband though, and I love him So much! I love you too So much!
    Kate! Haha burst out laughing Literally when I saw your post, you'd swim home by now hahaha you are So funny! You are a special person too and I am So lucky to have you as my best friend! Can't wait for your email but don't be worried just write when you can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie! It is so fun to read your entries every week. I talk to your aunt (julie) at church every week and make sure you are still doing good! It sounds like it!! That's so great.... Congratulations! You are a strong girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby! Thanks So much, everyday is an adventure here that's for sure! Ya, isn't Julie like the sweetest lady ever? But I love that you guys live in that neighborhood, I have always wanted to live there when I'm married so who knows we'll see when we get back :) You and Josh are adorable as ever by the way!

    ReplyDelete